Happy New Year!!! WOW, here we are...2018 and its time to do something NEW! This is the year for you to step out of your comfort zone, set those goals, break them and make more! 2017 was an eye opening year for me...I honestly had NO idea that I would accomplish some of the things I did. I can't wait to see what 2018 has in store!
Already 12 days in I've been exploring new recipes and setting new food goals for myself and the family. So far so good ;-)
Anyhoo, today's creation is a potato and kale soup. This evening started as most...its 6 pm, I haven't prepared anything and I'm standing in the kitchen contemplating what I can throw together! haha! Fortunately, it's a Friday evening so bed time isn't a true concern. Hubs wanted a broth bowl, we needed to cook the asparagus and broccoli before it went bad and I kinda wanted soup. Soooo, hubby cut up the broccoli and asparagus and roasted it while I got started on the soup. I am so grateful that my kids love veggies! They really really like asparagus! I don't remember liking it that much, but again I am grateful they eat so well... even the teenager! hahaha!
This dish was also perfect for this evening because it snowed like it hasn't snowed before. Just two days ago it was 57 degrees, it rained last night and then snowed all day...that's Indiana weather for ya! Sheesh! So eating warm food is ALWAYS on the menu during winter especially when you're trapped in the house!
I kinda made this up in my head...but I will share with you what I did, how I did it...and how DELICIOUS it was!!!!!!!!
10-12 organic yellow potatoes cut
1/2 yellow pepper chopped
1/2 red pepper chopped
1/4 cup of celery chopped
1/4 organic sweet yellow onion
1/2 cup of kale cut (thumb size pieces)
1/4 cup of organic frozen corn
4 tbsp organic flour
*green onion for garnish
himalayan pink salt
1) Sautee' onions, peppers and celery in avocado oil (or oil of choice) season mixture and continue to stir until tender. Add potatoes.
2) Stir veggies and potatoes as mixture begins to get tender. If needed add a little water or broth if it starts to stick
3) Add 2 1/2 - 3 cups of water or broth. add 1/4 cup of nutritional yeast and stir to combine. (In my case I did about 1 1/2 cups of veggie broth and 1 cup of water)
4) Sift flour over mixture and allow to simmer on low (add more to thicken if necessary)
5) Once everything has settled and soup starts to thicken add in kale and corn
6) Stir to combine and cook until kale becomes tender
*I used my Instapot for this recipe. I started with the saute' setting and switched to the soup setting once all ingredients were added to let cook for about 7-10 minutes.
Y'all this soup was sooo extremely good! I had to force myself to stop eating it. My husband and I both had about 2 1/2 servings! This is a first but definitely not my last ;-) I hope you all give it a try and enjoy!!