Welcome + Tips
I want to FIRST welcome all of the newcomers to the Black Mama Vegan family! I appreciate each of you for putting a pin in it and seeing what this lifestyle is all about! As you may have read or seen in some of my social media posts, I have been on this journey for a lonnnnng time! Although I've been vegan officially for 4 years the thoughts and intentions were there WAY in advance of 2016. So hey y'all!!
Anyhoo, through this blog and my social media I do my best to convey how this lifestyle can work for anyone that puts their mind to it! The majority of recipes that I create usually take 35-40 minutes or less! My hope is that you find some gems along the way to assist you on this journey. Be patient with yourself but stay the course! Additionally, I will include other vegan lifestyle items such as: makeup, nail polish, cleaning products etc. Because of course, #issalifestyle
Now! For those of you who have been riding this out you can see I've been adding things and switching up a bit. I published my first ebook last month! Whoop whoop! I also added my essential oil roller blends as well as my Women Wellness Blend to the site. Both of these items I have used for a very long time and decided to add them to share with others. I will be adding more details about each item so that you can learn a little more about them.
During this time, my hope is that you're spending some moments reflecting, keeping things in order and not eating up all of your snacks!
If this is you, let me share a few tips that may help keep your hunger under control!
1) Drink more water! I know this seems cliche' but the fact is, sometimes when you're home more and not on the go water intake can get neglected. Reach for that water bottle or jug and drink before you touch your snacks. Our brain cannot tell if we are dehydrated or hungry. If you drink 16 oz of water and are still hungry THEN reach for a healthy snack!
2) Buy whole foods and not a lot of snacks! Everyone is home more with their kiddos and you may be inclined to buy more snacks. Let me assure you, snacks such as chips, cookies, ice cream have a limited amount or NO FIBER or essential nutrients which means you'll be hungry shortly after consumption. Use this time to shop smart and buy more fruits and veggies. Eating more fiber rich and nutrient dense snacks will fill you up longer and help you and the kiddos stay out of the kitchen.
3) Balance! Now, I'm not saying to NEVER buy any chips or "dry good" snacks because that is no fun! haha! But a good way to ration them is to allow yourself or your kids one dry snack in the mid morning afternoon and maybe one more in the early evening. All other snacking should be fruits, veggies, or even a small smoothie. Even if they are "healthier" snacks like veggie straws or granola, you still want to limit them so that you don't run out and also so that you can focus on the good stuff-nutrient density is the key!
4) Cook at home! I know, I know...you feel like you are cooking more but trust me, it will pay off! Now, is a good time to get a little more creative, use those ingredients in your pantry, try that seasoning that's been sitting on your counter or in the cabinet and get your kids involved. Cooking can be fun and a family affair. Assign tasks to others or get input on what to have for meals. This also gives you a chance to be more mindful of ingredients and what exactly is in your food! Most of the time we go through a drive through not really understanding or investigating what is REALLY in that bun, wrap or sandwich.
5) Give yourself grace and be patient! There is no pressure to become plant based or vegan overnight! Or to even think that you'll be a star worthy chef...although, you neva know! Try new things, swap in plant ingredients for non plant ingredients and just slowly transition. We can sometimes overwhelm our system if we make a change TOO fast. Slow and steady wins the race!
I hope these tips were helpful and as always, catch me on my Instagram Stories or on my Facebook page. What would you like to see more of? Let me know!